Monday 22 October 2012

Molested

"Why test on animals when we have prison's full of pedophiles?"...just saying!

That was one of my Facebook Status updates of today, some 12 hours ago! I awoke this morning after spending the night alone. I had decided that I actually needed some ME time, after all that has gone on in my life this week. So as I usually do, I checked my updates on Facebook, and this update, which was posted by someone else, was the first to appear. I felt compelled to share it on my page too.

Two weeks ago I had been contacted by a young man who was in the depths of despair. He found my blog to be inspiring and told me it gave him hope and strength to face his life. His words had brought me to tears. I felt a sense of urgency in that I needed to meet him. After waking this morning and going through my usual routine, I messaged him and asked him to come to lunch. Steven, as I will call him, made the time and effort, to ask a friend to travel a fair distance to meet me.

I had been given a recipe of Chicken Chilli by a Facebook friend from the US some time ago and decided to cook that. The first time I had tried the recipe and I'm glad I did! The Chicken Chilli was awesome and thanks to Robert for it! ;-) Steven though, stole the show! He had been carrying a burden with him most of his life, which he had not shared with anyone. He had been the victim of molestation by a family member, and he had chosen me, as the first person to tell his story. I am honoured and humbled that he did.

This event had occured in his life for 13 years!! He's turning 22 next month. His childhood had been ripped from him at the tender age of 5. For the last few years of his life he has grappled with it, not knowing whether he should tell someone. My blog gave him the strength today to do so! He was fearful of the judgement his family would cast upon him, as this heinous crime was committed against him by a close family member. He felt isolalted and unloved by all around him. He changed that today.

Steven, for the first time in his life, smiled like there was no tomorrow! The world had been lifted from his shoulders. The mountain that he had thought his life to be, was only a grain of sand. I'm by no means implying that his suffering was small or insignificant, but only that the judgement he cast upon himself in not being able to vocalise his issue was. Maybe because I was a stranger, but he easliy divulged all to me. In that moment a New Man was born! The sorrowful, depressed boy that arrived, left a Proud and Strong Man! His love of life and love restored.

But, he not only found the Courage and Strength to tell me, he related his story to his brother. It marked a turning point in his life, for his brother, Johan, did not turn his back on him. Johan gave him the love and support he needs to take back the control of his life, which was stolen from him! Steven tried a new recipe today and it turned out beyond anything he had imagined! Through enduring all he has, he stood up for himself! The road ahead of him is still going to be strenuous and difficult, but he has the support of Johan and I in overcoming what has plagued him for so many years.

Steven can look straight ahead at the road which lies before him no longer ashamed and burdened. He has the Love and Support he so desprately sought to fight this battle. His voice will not be silenced anymore! He will sing his song...and people will have no choice but listen!

God Bless Him and all of Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment