Wednesday 10 October 2012

Unique

I was once weak. Now I am STRONG! I was the "different" kid at school. Found it difficult to make friends. That was mostly because I was embarrassed by where we lived and what we owned. I also knew I liked boys a little too much more than was normal for the other boys. My mother did her best with what she had, and I will always now regret my simplemindedness! But as children we all have to have the latest this and that in order to find our sense of belonging. I was not fortunate in that regard. She sacrificed so much to provide the little she could and I LOVE her more for it.

I was bullied at school. I was a skinny little rat and was always the target of abuse by the stronger boys. I never played the usual boy's games like cricket or rugby, yes, maybe because I was scared, but mostly because I was TOLD TO! I am salmon, I swim upstream! Do not tell me I have to do something just because everyone else is doing it. Anyway, I'm digressing...

I battled through primary school and when I enetered High School unfortunately the status-quo remained unchanged. It actually got worse! There was this really mean kid who got an instant hard-on to fucking me around. This went on through my first couple years and was really having an impact on my confidence and self-esteem. One day at lunch break the mean kid launched into a full on physical attack. I had always thought that faced with such aggression I would buckle and fold. Basically I would  piss my pants and cry like a girl, and have mommy pick me up, in that horrbile canary yellow vintage Citroen we owned from the hospital, all bloodied and  bruised. Instead I stood firm, and with my right hand grabbed his throat and with all the might I could muster squeezed like there was no tomorrow. I went for his jugular! My action caught him completely by surprise and he gasped and gasped for air. I had found his Achilles Heel. In front of the entire school he was rendered useless.

Needless to say, he was expelled. Three strikes and you're out. Very American Penal Code I might add ;-)...After that my life in school changed. I no longer had to look over my shoulder to see which bully was lurking in the corridor. I had gained acceptance within my peer group, which come to think about it is very Neanderthal. I decided soon after that, that the only person suffering from my self-imposed isolation was me. So I threw caution to the wind and decided to let other's into my personal space. I made friends...and easily to! I was no longer shackled to my own prison. I had gained the freedom of choice to be something I allowed myself not to be....this lesson I did not apply to my coming out the closet until many years after due to varying phobia's within my family unit!

And life continued. I moved north and while there decided I  needed to bulk-up. No one would ever take advantage of me like that again. And through blood, sweat and becoming nuclear powered, I built the physique I have today. I'm plutonium enriched and not ashamed to admit that. Years later, while on holiday I had the fortunate experience to bump into the mean kid from high school. He was a bouncer working the door of a local gay night-club. Irony can be cruel sometimes! On leaving the establishment, I walked straight up to him and asked him if he remembered me. I was a complete stranger to him. So I filled him in on the details surrounding our last encounter and requested we do it again for old times sake...A walk down memory lane so to speak...he declined. I was twice his size now you see...cowards never change their stripes!!!!

We are all different! Unique!! But just because we are does not make us less than those around us.....

No comments:

Post a Comment